Monday, January 07, 2013

Sublime MCN

These socks have been mostly done for a bit, but the ends needed to be woven in. So now they're done (and keeping my toes nice and cozy).

The yarn is to die (dye?) for! It's a merino/cashmere/yarn from Fearless Fibers. Sadly, no longer dyeing... good thing I have a nice stash of her yarn! However, this was the only MCN I purchased before Deb closed up her Etsy shop. Colorway is called Sublime, one of my faves (and really really hard to photograph).

The pattern is an other of my favorite. A great looking pattern stitch for with these rainbow dyed yarns. 

Project Stats:

Pattern: Charade by Sandra Park (no relation, btw)

Yarn: Merino Cashmere Nylon Sock Yarn by Fearless Fibers

Problems with the pattern: one of my favorite sock patterns (yes, the gauge listed on the pattern is "meh"). Easy and clear.

Changes to the pattern: I knit them as written (yes, I even did a heel flap. I usually do an afterthought heel, but the color repeats on this yarn is so short that the flap didn't throw the colors out of wack).

Overall impressions: a lovely combination of luxury yarn with a simple, yet interesting sock pattern. Not sure how they'll wear (the nylon might help balance the cashmere content), but my feet are feeling very pampered (and toasty) with these babies on.

I spent some time this morning ripping back a bunch of started socks. Part of the problem with me and socks? I don't have a good feel for needle/gauge. Just don't have enough experience with knitting socks that I can't just grab a set of needles, cast on some stitches and go. Even with patterns, there is such a wide variety of what knitters use (I've seen the same yarn used by different knitters where one used a size 0 and the other used a size 3. For the same pattern. Now I just need to figure out where I fall in the gauge scale). So I'll do the good ol' try and error system for the next pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.