Friday, February 14, 2014

Finish It Friday: Rowhouse!

I've been procrastinating on the finishing of Matt's Rowhouse. I knew I wanted to try something a little different with the closures. After much browsing and playing, I ended up making some toggles using a dark grey ultrasuede.

Of course this required me to set my sewing machine up again (we had guests for the holidays, and so my studio is converted to a guest room). Oh, then we had that whole pesky winter thing with too much ice, snow and no power for a few days.

However, it's Valentine's Day and someone deserves a sweater (ya, the 20" of snow yesterday means someone has been doing a lot of shoveling).

I wasn't too sure about the closures at first. I haven't been sewing much, and just like anything that you don't do on a regular bases, I'm a bit out of practice.

I used a light grey for the sewing (as the flecks in the yarn have a light grey) and some wooden toggle buttons that Matt picked out.

The straps are probably too long, but I'm not sure I can get it off of him to move them over a bit. I will block it at some point.

Let's do some project stats!

Pattern: Brownstone by Jared Flood

Yarn: Queensland Kathmandu Aran (yes, I am heartbroken that this yarn is discontinued)

Problems with the pattern: none. This is a very well written pattern (see previous post gush)

Changes to the pattern: NONE!!! What??? Yep, thanks to knitting to gauge and the man friendly sizing, I did not make any changes to the actual knitting. The only thing I changed was the closure where I made ultrasued toggles rather than twisting the yarn to make the loops.

Overall impressions: this sweater is awesome. The pattern: awesome. The yarn: awesome. The color: awesome. Yep it's awesome.

I will readily admit that I it's more than likely that I'll knit this pattern again. Maybe in a nice cotton blend...


  1. You knit the most gorgeous sweaters! And I find all your project notes insightful and helpful!!!

  2. It looks great! I love the closures. I was just watching one of the E.Z. dvds I have where they show her and her daughter Meg making an Aran coat. They used closures like yours, but they made them out of yarn by twisting it in some manner. I really like the look of this style.


Sorry about having to add the word verification for comments, but even with moderation, my inbox was being over run with spam. So thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Blogger does not give me your email address when you leave a comment, so I can not respond back to you. Keep an eye on my blog and I will try to respond there.